Halloween is looming! Argh! As I walked the streets last Halloween with my kids and witnessed the stupendous amounts of junk /artificial crap/ "non-food"/ rubbish /toxic treats (insert your word of choice) handed out to our little loved ones, the first thought that came into my head was "Dear fellow residents, can you stop poisoning my kids pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!" The next thought that came into my head was "This is not about deprivation! This is about providing a healthy alternative to every piece of junk."
Last year I wrote a blog post on 6 ways I deal with Halloween which you can read here. My sentiments remain exactly the same. One of the recommendations involved taking your own trick or treat bag with you when you and your kids do the rounds of the streets filled with some healthy nutrient-dense treats for kids to munch on instead of the junk that they will be given. Another of my recommendations was to swap every piece of crap with a real food treat of equivalent weight which can be apportioned over the next few days or weeks.
With the above in mind, this year I decided to take matters into my own hands and provide my community with a healthy Halloween trick or treat bag. Why? Because none exist in the market and it's high time we start a ripple effect that demonstrates:
1. As parents we care what goes into our children's bodies;
2. We are fed up with what passes as treats for our kids - don't they deserve better??
3. Healthy treats are just or as, or even more delicious, without all the toxic ingredients.
My staff, my kids and I have had so much fun crafting these bags. They contain:
🎃 15g of our new raspberry gummies made with raspberries, gelatin powder and the teeniest amount of maple syrup (less than 1/10 teaspoon per gummy).
🎃 2 of our mint Carob bears made with carob powder, raw cacao butter and food grade Young Living peppermint essential oil .... With NO ADDED SWEETENER!!!
🎃 a 30g pack of our signature light and crispy activated nuts. Nice to have something savoury in the bag!! Traditionally, trick or treat bags contained nuts.
🎃 25g of our original power bars sweetened only with dates and no concentrated sweeteners.
🎃 30g of our choc of coated activated macadamias.
🎃 kid friendly Halloween jokes provided by my 11 year old son Will 😂
All ingredients are certified organic where possible.
The above have all been road tested on kids and every single one gave them the big "I want more please?!" 🙌🙌🏻
These trick or treat bags retail for $19.95 and can be used in 3 ways:
1. Take them with you when going trick or treating and let your kids munch on some of the healthy snacks rather than the crappy confectionary they will be given (which you can accept graciously then turf at home). If you have no alternative with you, the temptation to eat confectionary is too great for kids.
2. When you get back home use the treats as a healthy swap for all of the crap that they will be given.
3. Use the treats or the jokes when a little ghost or Dracula comes knocking on YOUR door. You'll feel good knowing that you have provided a little soul with something actually good for them.
These bags will be available for sale later this week at my retail store Broth Bar & Larder in Bronte. Limited quantities available so to avoid disappointment we encourage you to pre-order on 0421 786 009.
HAPPY TRICK OR TREATING!!!!! 👻👹😈🎃👽💀
I would love to know what you think of these trick or treat bags. Please share your thoughts below!