Valentines Day might traditionally be a celebration of romantic love but I’m drawing a broader bow and see it as a celebration of love in all its guises. The unconditional love a mother has for her children, the love for one’s family and close friends and let’s not forget where this outpouring all starts from, the deep well of self-love. Whatever we do, and why we do it, all comes back to love. To either feel loved or gift love.
I EXPRESS MY LOVE IN MANY WAYS BUT, LIKE MY MOTHER, ONE OF THE WAYS I INSTINCTIVELY EXPRESS MY LOVE IS THROUGH THE CREATION OF BEAUTIFUL NOURISHING FOOD MADE FOR THOSE I CARE ABOUT
To that end, here is our selection of limited edition exquisite hand-made products that we make each year for the International Day of Love for you to share with your loved ones...or perhaps to enjoy yourself!
I hope they make your heart sing as much as I loved crafting and making them for you:
1. ROSE PETAL RAW DARK CHOCOLATE
We liberally sprinkled our signature raw dark chocolate with Ovvio Organics certified organic rose petals to create chocolate that is almost too pretty to eat!
Each piece is individually wrapped in paper, tied with twine and stamped with a little “Love You” card. These sing artisan chocolate hand-made with love at the top of their sweet voices.
Priced according to weight at $14.50/100g. Keep refrigerated as our chocolate is so pure.
2. RAW LOVE DOUBLE LOVE HEART CHOCOLATES
Pre-packaged solid double love heart chocolates made with our signature raw dark chocolate sweetened with maple syrup (81% raw cacao content). There are 7 double love heart chocolates in a bag for $14/100g. Keep refrigerated as our chocolate is so pure.
3. CHOCOLATE-INFUSED ACTIVATED MUESLI
What happens when you combine the 3rd most nutrient-dense food on the planet (activated nuts and seeds) with the fourth most nutrient-dense food on the planet (raw cacao powder)? Our raw dark chocolate + our activated muesli = taste orgasm in a bowl. Does is get any better? Over the past few weeks we’ve saved all the off cuts of our range of raw dark chocolates and mixed them through our activated muesli, packaged it up in glass jars with beautiful ribbon and a little “Love You” card. Because I think breakfast is the best time of day to eat chocolate! $23.50/350g.
WHAT MAKES OUR CHOCOLATE UNIQUE?
We think our chocolate is pretty special and one of a kind. Here’s why:
1. We only use certified organic ingredients where these are available.
2. We use raw cacao powder (as opposed to processed/heat treated cocoa) that has been fermented for 3 days. Raw cacao powder is ranked as the 4th most nutrient-dense food on the planet and touted for its numerous health benefits:
a. High in polyphenols (anti-oxidants) particularly flavanols (higher than green tea, red wine, goji berries, acai berries). Anti-oxidants prevent the effects of aging, DNA damage, heart disease and cancer.
b. High in minerals esp. magnesium (healthy heart and brain function; muscle relaxant; bones density; mitigates feelings of stress), chromium (assists pancreatic health and regulates blood sugar) and iron (promotes oxygen transport in the blood).
c. Positive effects on the brain, circulatory and cardiovascular system. Eg lowers Alzheimer’s risk, lowers blood pressure, improves blood lipid profile (lowers oxidised LDL), improves insulin sensitivity, improves exercise endurance, protects against pre-eclampsia in pregnancy.
d. Anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, anti-thrombotic (anti-blood clotting)
e. Anti-depressant/feel-good chemicals (eg dopamine, serotonine, tryptophan)
f. Protects the liver against alcohol (wine and chocolate = winning pair!)
g. Protects against UV damage
h. Its theobromine content (bitter compound) has a stimulating effect producing higher levels of physical energy and mental alertness. It has 1/4 of the stimulating power of caffeine.
3. We only use raw cacao butter as our fat of choice which is what is used in traditional chocolate making (and do not ‘water down’ with coconut oil or other fats and especially no industrial seed oils like vegetable oil found in conventional chocolate). Raw cacao butter is what gives chocolate that melt in your mouth smooth chocolaty taste.
4. We only use pure Canadian maple syrup in our chocolate. It is our natural sweetener of choice due to its high mineral content, delicious flavour, smooth texture and favourable sucrose to fructose ratio. We do not use agave syrup (way too high in fructose which causes metabolic and digestive issues).
5. We do not use soy lecithins, emulsifiers, milk powders, any preservatives, or artificial flavours, colours or additives, and nor to we temper our chocolate. For all these reasons, the purity of our chocolate requires that it be stored in the fridge.
“IF YOU ARE GOING TO EAT CHOCOLATE, EAT THE BEST QUALITY CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD. LIFE’S TOO SHORT TO EAT CRAP CHOCOLATE”
click here to tweet
WHAT MAKES OUR MUESLI UNIQUE?
I crafted this muesli many years ago as there was, and still is, nothing on the market that comes close in terms of source and processing.
1. It is important that all nuts and seeds added to a muesli are properly prepared through soaking and long slow dehydrating to make them digestible (it also makes them so much more delicious to!). Many mueslis might claim to be “paleo” or “organic” but proper preparation is all-important to reduce phytates and make the nutrients digestible and accessible.
2. We only use certified organic ingredients where these are available.
3. Our muesli is grain-free and in particular gluten-free. We use activated buckwheat (not a relative of wheat) as the base. Technically buckwheat is a fruit and not a grain but it behaves like a grain so it is soaked and dehydrated until light and crispy. We do not use puffed grains or any other grains for that matter.
4. We do not add any concentrated sugars or sweeteners. It is naturally sweetened with gojis, coconut flakes and dried figs which are hand-cut to size.
IN THE WORDS OF SOME OF MY CLIENTS...
“I just wanted to let you know that your muesli is so delicious …. It has the most amazing combination of flavours & textures & our family love it ....there is nothing else like it on the market ....” Heather
“Awww Soulla, the goods arrived, and oh myyyy, they are sooo delicious! The muesli is absolutely yummy (could devour it all day long)” Fiona
“Soulla, your muesli is the best part of my day!” Kate
“Hi there, I have had many organic/natural chocolates over the last 10 years from all over the world… these ones have to be the best by far! My fav is the fruit and nut and cinnamon crunch… well done! Your macadamia nuts are the best too!” Peter
HOW TO PURCHASE:
These limited edition Valentines Day products can be purchased from Broth Bar & Larder or to pre-order please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have only made a limited amount and will not be making more when these sell out so please get in fast or pre-order to avoid disappointment.