I will never hang my hat on any one thing (as there never is one panacea), but since I started using Young Living essential oils dailyI have felt so much calmer, happier, and healthier. My emotions are more on an even keel with fewer lows. My skin is glowing like never before and my kids are so much more chilled out. There’s less fighting, yelling and screaming in my house.
Essential oils are what I call nature in a bottle. They are the powerfully potent extract of the life force of the plant and without them the plant wouldn’t exist (hence the term “essential”).
The way I use essential oils is as a powerful and beautiful adjunct to what I call the 8 foundations of health. They are yet another tool in my health tool box. We discuss and explore all of this in the essential oils workshops that I run. Their uses are broad and varied and grow daily as I become more and more familiar and comfortable with them. Some of my favourite ways are:
- as a face and body moisturiser diluted in olive oil
- in the diffuser to provide a beautiful aroma and energy to the house
- as a facial mist
- as a household cleaner
- occasionally in my food (amazing in cakes!) and drinks
- on soles of our feet or steam inhalation when we are feeling sick
- as a first aid for cuts, burns, bruises and muscular aches
- as a remedy for mould
- as a concentration booster for study or writing
- as an air freshener to purify the air and remove stinky odours (think boys’ rooms, soft pack lunch boxes, garbage bins)
- to induce sleep and calm before bedtime
- to take the edge of anxiety and stress
- as a mouth wash diluted in water
- in the bath
I am very frequently asked why I chose Young Living essential oils. Simply put, it is because independent research shows time and again that they are of the highest quality the world over, both in terms of purity and power. Putting aside that Young Living is the largest essential oil company in the world, it is the only essential oil company in the world that owns all of the farms from where their oils are harvested so they have total control and visibility from “seed to seal”. This gives me a quality assurance that no other oil company in the world can. As I am extremely cautious with what I put in and on my and my kids’ body, I always seek out the very best quality- whether its food or personal care products. Like food, not all essential oils are the same! Treat these oils like a powerful medicinal tonic, as that is what they are. A little goes a very long way.