I'm kick-starting the year with a bone-broth (stock) cooking class on Thursday 27 February 7:30pm. I think that a diet rich in pastured meats, veggies, fruit, eggs and whole dairy is really only half the picture. For really robust health and longevity we need to place bone broths, organ meats and lacto-fermented foods (like sauerkraut and kefir) center stage and make them a staple rather than a once in a blue moon delicacy. Broths were a staple in all traditional cultures. Remember the wholefoods principle- the whole of the animal (including the bones and organ meat) should be consumed. In fact our hunter-gatherer ancestors and people in traditional societies prized the bones and the organ meats of an animal over and above the lean muscle meat. Most people in modern society simply don’t consume home-made broth on a regular basis. Here’s your opportunity to build a robust immune and digestive system for 2014 and beyond by learning how.
* a detailed handout with step by step guide on how to make a good broth
Acct no: 1511 0110
Here are a few reasons why broth is my and my family’s foundation food:
1. broth should be consumed whenever muscle meat is consumed.
2. the gelatin in the broth aids in digestion (a must for anyone with digestive issues)
3. the collagen in broth builds and repairs joints, cartilage, ligaments and tendons (a must for athletes, anyone with osteo-skeletal issues and sporting injuries)
4. the collagen in broth is a kind of rejuvenating youth serum, making your skin glow and look years younger (this is why I like to say that bone broth is my botox)
5. broth makes everything more flavoursome (from smoothies to casseroles to soups, jellies and sauces)
6. broth is immune-building and fortifying (a must for young kids, anyone who frequently succumbs to flues and infections, or aspires to have a bullet-proof immune system)
7. broth is a great source of protein, healthy saturated fats from pastured animals and a multitude of micronutrients that we need to function and perform our best. People who regularly consume broth report feeling stronger with more energy (myself included).